The Vision Continues
When twenty-eight year old Pentecostal evangelist Charles E. Glass arrived in Sherman in 1958, he came with an unshakeable faith that God had called him to build a church in that community. Founded initially on his faith in God’s call, that vision has not only become a reality, but it continues to unfold for the future. Throughout his fifty-eight yearlong ministry in Sherman, “Papa Charles” - as he was lovingly called by members of Faith Church and friends in the community - remained adamant that we have not yet seen all that God wants to do.
Without exception, and throughout his ministry, Rev. Glass fervently preached the absolute truth of God’s Word and Faith Church’s current Ministerial Staff continue to do the same, led by Senior Pastor Ryan Cernero and Associate Pastors Dr. Aaron Cernero and Eli Brown.
Rev. Glass’s legacy began in a white-framed building on the corner of Jones and Maxey which at the time housed a small congregation. Soon, the congregation’s growth required a larger facility, and in 1963, only five years after Rev. Glass and his wife Mary Jo had come to Sherman to pastor, the First Pentecostal Church moved into a new, much larger facility at 601 N. Harrison.
During the late 1990s, in a series of messages that were to be pivotal in the history of the church, Rev. Glass began preaching “Now faith is …” based on Hebrews 11:1. Consequently, in 2001, Sherman’s First Pentecostal Church changed its name to “Faith Church of Sherman, Texas.” God greatly blessed the congregation through Rev. Glass’s ministry, and in November of 2006, Faith Church moved into its current facility at Heritage Parkway (formerly Highway 1417) and Taylor.
Because of the leadership of Rev. Glass and his wife, Faith Church remains a thriving congregation that has learned not only to believe God, but to “speak faith, not fate,” as instructed in Proverbs 18:21( “Death and life are in the power of the tongue….”). As a result, Faith Church has seen many receive healing, deliverance, salvation, and victory.
The message of Rev. Glass, which continues through the Faith Church Ministerial Staff, was the same as that of the Apostles’ found in Acts 2, 8, 10 and 19: God’s fundamental truths are baptism in Jesus’ name and the indwelling of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance. Thus, the continuing message of Faith Church is that the power of indomitable faith in God and in His Word moves vision to reality.
Time and time again, Faith Church has experienced the power and success of anointed leadership, direction, and ministry, beginning in 1958 and continuing through the present. The congregation stands firmly and resolutely behind the truth of God’s Word which teaches us that in God “all things are possible” and that the vision for the church today rests not in what has been accomplished; rather, the vision is an expectant and timeless one that looks toward the future where, as in a song the congregation often sings, “the best is yet to come!"